Student Day Merit Scholarships

Three students received $1,000 Student Day Merit Scholarship awards presented by the Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry (BHECM) in 2017.

Jonathan Cox is a member of Salem United Methodist Church in Council Bluffs and plans to prepare for a career in youth ministry while a student at Simpson College.

Leandra Martins from Cedar Rapids and a member of First United Methodist Church in Marion is a second-year divinity student at Duke.

Annika Wasson is a member of St. Mark’s United Methodist Church in Iowa City,  majoring in elementary education at Simpson College.

Awards are for merit in terms of academic performance; church, campus, high school and community involvement; financial need; and special vocational preparation for ministry or other service. The most recent Student Day Offering was on November 25, 2017. The board will use 10% of the total amount raised for 2018 awards in Iowa. The other 90% supports scholarships across the United Methodist connection.

BHECM helps to promote higher education and campus ministry throughout our conference and around the world, including Africa University and the Black College Fund. In 2017 the board has received $635,000 to support the campus ministries at our colleges and universities in Iowa. These funds are made possible with the apportionment gifts of United Methodist churches throughout the state.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s