Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry

Four college students from Iowa are receiving $1,000 scholarships to support their studies this fall. Molly Cox of Salem UMC, Council Bluffs, attends Nebraska Wesleyan College and studies anthropology and sociology. Laurel Fraser of Walnut Hills UMC, Urbandale, attends Cornell College and studies English, Spanish and civic engagement. Kaitlyn Louk of Salem UMC, Cedar Rapids, is beginning studies at Simpson College in art education. Stephanie Tener of Coralville UMC is a senior at Iowa Wesleyan, studying elementary education.

Iowa United Methodist students who attend a United Methodist college, university or seminary are eligible for nomination for a United Methodist Student Day Merit Scholarship. Criteria for the awards include academic performance, financial need, special vocational preparation for ministry or other service, and church, campus, high school and community involvement.

The number of $1000 scholarships available each year is based on the amount raised in the preceding year by the Iowa Conference from the United Methodist Student Day Offering in November. Ten percent (10%) of the total amount raised is rebated back to the Iowa Conference. The other 90% of what is raised goes to support scholarships across the United Methodist connection. The next Student Day Offering will be on November 24, 2013. The Iowa Conference Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry oversees this scholarship.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s